Week In Sleep: Sleep Like The Dead

By Alyse Borkan  |  Oct 31, 2015
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestEmail this to someone

While you were lining up a queue of your favorite scary Netflix films, we stayed up to date on these sleep stories. Here is everything you need to know to sleep soundly this weekend:

Did you just get to college and find yourself attempting to avoid the Freshman 15? Well, according to new research, the typical college weight gain we all know (and fear) may actually instead be linked to poor sleep. Time to pick up the pillow and put down the Red Bull. (New York Times)

Sick of the Pumpkin Spice Latte? Understandable. But to get in the Halloween spirit while simultaneously changing it up, there’s a new Starbucks beverage you need to try: The Frappula. Though last year’s Franken Frapp is no longer on the holiday menu (though, hint hint, you can still order it secretly) this spooky Frappuchino is inspired by Dracula.(Refinery29)

We’re already aware that sleep plays a part in memory, but now we actually know quite a bit more. Findings from Switzerland show that sleep can also help us select and retain certain memories that are valuable and rewarding to us. Getting rewarded as we learn can help reinforce new information in memories. Another plus for napping? Taking a quick snooze in the afternoon can boost the effect. (Medical News Today)

93% of us dream in color. The other 7%? Ask around and you’ll probably find that many of those who claim to dream in black and white are actually older. Why? It could simply be because they didn’t own color TVs. (Van Winkle’s)

 

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestEmail this to someone